AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

horseradish
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 9/19/2020 16:39 (#8504493 - in reply to #8503517)
Subject: RE: horseradish

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Fresh ground is way, way better than anything you can buy.

A few things to make it better when you grind your own. Use ice, not water for added moisture. Don't peel it. You lose a lot of the flavor and 'kick' to it. Just scrub with a stiff brush. The timing of when you add the vinegar (the only thing I add beside a pinch of salt) makes a big difference in how hot it is. I like to wait about 1 minute from when the blender shuts off, but I like it fairly hot. A few cocktails before you start helps considerably with the eyes watering, at least that's my excuse. Don't put it in your wife's good tupperware. Glass containers only or you'll be buying some new ones.

It's hard to get unless you grow your own, but fresh dug is way better than even store bought root that you grind yourself. I've never seen any fresh root in the store that was worth buying. My family used to grow horseradish commercially, and was partners in a packing shed. There's several hundred acres within a few miles of the house so I don't have any trouble getting the good stuff. I have a couple patches here but it's easier to dig in the field. It's persistent but doesn't spread and it's really that hard to get rid of.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)