AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rental rates and fertilizer/lime on hayfields
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

StxPecans
Posted 9/18/2020 22:36 (#8503408 - in reply to #8503320)
Subject: RE: Rental rates and fertilizer/lime on hayfields

Only making five 4x5 bales is the issue. Here if your not making 5 to 6 5x6 bales an acre your not doing very well. And y'all get rain up there. I assume there is about 2 times more hay in a 5x6 than a 4x5.

I don't even see how you can make a 1000lbs 4x5. My 5x5.5 can be so tight I can't hardly get a hay spear in it and they weigh from 1250 to 1500lbs.

I would plant sorgum Sudan or somthing like that. I could sell every bale a make (5x5.5) for $65 a bale. With enough rain in 2 cuttings 7 - 5x5.5 bales would be easy. This is dry hay. Not sure if your talking silage?

I would do somthing along the lines of he get 1/4 of the hay he pays 1/4 of the fertilizer with an option to buy back bales at a set price(normally the lower value of what u think you would get)

End of the day you have to figure if your only making $100 an acre profit is it worth it? And I think making $100 an acre would be doing pretty good from your numbers.
You always make more money just being the custom baler unless the land is cheap.

Edited by StxPecans 9/18/2020 22:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)