AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Inspiration - What do you guys do to get through the tough times?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ILS16
Posted 9/17/2020 22:01 (#8501569 - in reply to #8501497)
Subject: RE: Inspiration - What do you guys do to get through the tough times?

TEE - 9/17/2020 21:30

What brand of equipment are you using?

This could make a big difference.

I've got all of it, just about. I've tried not to mention brands to stay neutral, but I'll say my two biggest problem machines, actually 3, have all been balers. Two NH balers, a small square and a round baler, and my current baler is a Vermeer. Its great except I CANT KEEP BEARINGS IN IT. Also the wind guard had a problem where if a slug of hay went into it, it would jam its "tines" in the rollers and tear everything up. I eventually cut the tines shorter and that problem went away.

My best machines for proven reliability are my Zetor and Belarus tractors. People mock them, but the fact is that they've been as reliable as sledge hammers, they always start when I turn the key, they just plain work, they use very little fuel, and despite what everyone says, I don't mind running either of them one bit. Only problem could be parts, but everything I've ever needed for either, I've gotten online and its arrived in 3-4 weeks tops. I have multiple tractors so its not a big deal if one has issues, but again, praise the Lord, they've both been great. I wish my implements were 1/4 as reliable as these tractors have been.

Edit: Actually I bought some filters and some small stuff from the "local" zetor dealer. Still tho.

150pilot - 9/17/2020 21:33

I used to bale small squares on up to 100 acres depending on what was happening in the old set aside program. My experience was like you describe. Lots of work, little money.

I could deal with the weather and equipment, but the customers got to be ridiculous.

Top 10 hay excuses:

The bales are too big
The bales are too small
Too much alfalfa
Not enough alfalfa
There is a weed in that bale, I won't take the load
The hay is too moist
The hay is too dry
So you deliver it for that price?
Can I take it now and pay you in 6 months?
I can pay half of that from someone else.

You won't ever get any competition from me. You can have ALL of those hay customers.

Jim

HAHAHAHA that's great. My single biggest pet peeve is that people WILL NOT expect to pay you to deliver, yet they expect it. When they will, its begrugenly and they think that you're ripping them off somehow. I have a $125 delivery minimum to move 15 round bales at once up to 20 miles. I think its very reasonable, but they don't agree. I eventually got tired of people wanting to buy hay but WHINING about the delivery fee, so I jacked up my prices and now offer "free local delivery". I've had people tell me they only bought from me because if they bought elsewhere, they'd have to pay for delivery.

Yes, people really are this dumb. But whatever, its alls well that ends well I guess. Well, when I have hay to sell that is. But still, seriously. These people will purchase multiple $30-70,000 vehicles. A $200-$500,000+ McMansion. Fancy clothes. Herds of recreational animals. The latest electronics, plus a boat and/or a camper for the weekend. No issues. But the moment you expect them to have coughed up $3000-$4000 for a proper trailer to haul their hay home on, OH, now we have a major problem, and they're not made of money, and things are tight for them etc etc.

Edited by ILS16 9/17/2020 22:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)