AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Inspiration - What do you guys do to get through the tough times?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ILS16
Posted 9/17/2020 21:30 (#8501496 - in reply to #8501288)
Subject: RE: Inspiration - What do you guys do to get through the tough times?

Pigpiggy - 9/17/2020 20:05

Started a new ag business this year on the side. It has been quite stressful trying to take care of the main ranch and then customers. Rain has backed me way up and then had unexpected repairs.

Today I was taking hay on a gopher infested field. Started out with a jack on the rake but after making it back to the shop I noticed the jack was missing the lower half. Can you imagine the thought of running that piece through an almost new JD baler? I stressed about it and searched over and over in the windrows for it but found nothing. Just finished baling the field tonight and thankfully no damage. If it got ran through I never heard anything and can’t find any marks or bent parts. Something like that can start a fire.

Thats the way it goes...

Cin769 - 9/17/2020 20:12

You need to suck it up and deal with the 4 bales at a time customer. But charge for it. Make it a minimum of so many bales anything under it is a premium price or a sliding scale 1-4 is so much 5-10 is so much you will know when you are charging too much,,,you won’t have the 4 bale guys calling then you back it down
You have to deal with all size customers til you get established and find that bigger operation
And maybe on the equipment ask other hay producers or just drive by and see what they use or ask on here to see what they say is the best

These clowns are taking the years off my life. But I know. I'm making plans to try and win over some of the larger producers, but I agree, assuming I have to sell retail still, its going to have to come at a price. I've also thought about waiting until fall-winter to sell to the smaller guys so prices should rise and therefore be worth the hassle, but that requires me to wait longer to bring in money (which I couldnt do this year; after last year), and store the stuff under cover which I'm not setup for. Maybe I'll get lucky and lease someones farm with a big pole barn on it or something, hmmm....

Tomcat - 9/17/2020 20:16

You talk about your meticulous maintenance program and have a baler sitting out? Cardinal sin to me.

The hay business is very fickle. Either it’s gold or it’s worthless.

I don't have a place for it under cover, and with the rolling distaster this operation has been, I dont have money to build one, or the time for that matter. Besides, honestly, this thing has been shelling parts and eating bearings almost since the day I brought it home new, its still going to be a project no matter where I store it. But FWIW I am working on getting a roof over it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)