AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gall bladder question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

K in Iowa
Posted 9/16/2020 17:29 (#8499198 - in reply to #8498965)
Subject: RE: Gall bladder question

NE Iowa
Hey Gregor,
The gall bladder is a storage area, nothing else. It stores bile that has been produced by the liver. When fat comes through the GI tract, the gall bladder contracts and adds the bile to aid in digestion of the fat. There is a common duct between the liver, pancreas, and gall bladder. If there are stones in the gall bladder they may try to pass into this duct causing pain. If they block the duct, the gall bladder may swell up also causing pain in the lower right quadrant. In latter stages of gall bladder disease, trapped infection in the gall bladder can cause real problems . If the infection exits the gall bladder into the common duct and gets to the liver or pancreas, serious, potential life threatening issues are possible. I was diagnosed with a common duct blockage on a Friday and had emergency surgery quickly after. Pancreatitis was the result for me, but thankfully I fully recovered from it.

In many people with removed gall bladders, the liver takes over the function of the gall bladder, and simply doesn't release the bile until it is needed. In those folks, they will not know the difference with or without a gall bladder. In others, like myself, that didn't happen. So the remedy is simple. Eat smaller more frequent meals, and don't go for long periods of time without eating. The smaller more frequent meals work because you have a constant small amount of bile being released, and not going a long time between meals prevents a build up of bile in the colon which can cause cramping.

Either way, you should find out if this is gall bladder related or something else. If it's the gall bladder, it won't get better on it's own, typically worse. With or without a gall bladder life goes on pretty normally...and although I don't drink alcohol, beer is fine.

Oh, and by the way, they say that gall bladder disease is most prevalent if you are in this category: Female, Fat, Forty and Fertile. Yeah, I didn't qualify when mine was removed 43 years ago....

K
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)