AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Harvest corn yields in 2020 so far are demonstrating the importance of soil fertility and genetics!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DobsonAG
Posted 9/17/2020 06:17 (#8500126 - in reply to #8499735)
Subject: RE: Harvest corn yields in 2020 so far are demonstrating the importance of soil fertility and geneti

Donnellson, IA. Makes saying here easier.
6030Deere - 9/16/2020 21:09

But 7 inches under normal is not a drought. It’s some stress yes but is to be expected. As long as you find a balanced product that will handle your management style you should be fine. I guess for example, 2-3 of my more popular products are average to below average root strength/mass. They handle drought and excessive moisture stress while maintaining the top 25% over test average. Seen a lot of above average root hybrids that couldn’t hack it.

My question to the above scenario is why drop 37k when you don’t have the groceries there to feed it? That seems to effect final yield more if you had already chosen a solid balance product.

The other part of the equation too many forget is when the lack of moisture occurs. We have many seasons that on paper we had the typical or average season rainfall totals. They just happen to not be when needed.

The other is I agree with planting less is more with stress. You get much more robust rooting with a lower population in stress. Plus I love selling seed but it doesn't take the population dome think to grow bigger yields.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)