AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Forest management
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Glenn W.
Posted 9/16/2020 09:21 (#8498592 - in reply to #8498486)
Subject: RE: Forest management

Southeast Washington
Skyhawker - 9/15/2020 18:20

whose responsibility is it to manage federally owned forests? If it is the federal bureau of land management, why isn't it done to prevent fires from destroying so much property every year?

Actually Forest Service lands fall under the Department of Agriculture. Any major federal action requires a NEPA study. There are three levels I believe and the most intense is quite expensive and time consuming. It also requires a public comment period and to mitigate the public's concerns. Then the regulations on clean air, clean water, riparian areas, endangered species, and public safety have to be met. I'm sure there are others. This happens on each project. A blanket study can't cover all. Since it is public land then they allow comments from all across the country. It goes on and on.

Then there is our private farmland. We need to save the soil so we move away from full tillage to notill. Crop residue is left. We annual crop with more options for rotation with less fallow ground. We need to save the fish. Riparian areas are seeded to grass, trees, bushes, and loaded with woody debris. We planted large areas to CRP over the years for the good of the wildlife.
Through genetics, fertilizer, chemicals, management, and rotation our crop yields have been given a huge yield increase.

The PNW has always been hot and dry with low humidity during the summer months. Nothing new. Add the once or twice every 100 years wind event that came through during the dry period setting up the perfect storm.

We had a lot of lightning a month ago starting many of the Forest fires. Many remained small. We removed roads in the mountains to help wildlife populations eliminating conflicts with humans. We also removed the roads needed to get in to fight the fires.

We had a couple towns over 80 percent burnt to the ground. We had a governor pushing the green new deal blaming it all on climate change and took no questions after his photo op there.

We spend decades improving the environment as mentioned above only to have the current outcome only blamed on climate change.

We thought we were improving the environment over the decades but the politicians seem to think we have made it worse and they have a better plan.

Sorry, I thought I was going to write a short answer.

Below is the latest project in the area to improve the spawning beds. It will be underwater next spring and catch more river debris and meander for the good of the fish.

(20200826_193308 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20200826_193308 (full).jpg (201KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)