AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

oat cover crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 9/16/2020 19:32 (#8499427 - in reply to #8498221)
Subject: RE: oat cover crop

southern MN
I have a few acres that drowned out in June. Been thinking of disking the weeds down and planting some oats or barley that’s sitting around.

If it ever quits raining. I think it’s drowned out 5-6 times this summer. I just checked it this afternoon, about half of it would go. Rest is still sticky.

It’s getting late here for a summer small grain to do much. We are really close to freeze temps, sunlight is disappearing, the smoke in the air is decreasing sun even more.

Then, sweet corn leaves a lot of grassy residue on the ground. What does a little low growth small grain add to that? It will be cool, and look interesting, but in November under the snow, what was actually gained in our climate? That’s a good question. I’m not against it, I’m just trying to think it through as well, what does it return to a person that the corn residue hasn’t already done?

The other common canning crop around here is peas. I could see an oats cover doing someone on the pea residue. It would compliment the legume, use some N to hold/ recycle in the ground, have a little more time to grow.

Here is a peek at my cover crop, in my oats field. Different crop, different timing, different species. And it’s just a 15 acre fun field, I don’t know if I really am accomplishing much either.

Paul

(CD7D9FB0-AE10-43AA-B491-7240760FB8DB (full).jpeg)

(107A2932-6103-47BD-A403-520081EB4379 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CD7D9FB0-AE10-43AA-B491-7240760FB8DB (full).jpeg (239KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 107A2932-6103-47BD-A403-520081EB4379 (full).jpeg (178KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)