AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Missing my bread and sweet teas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 9/16/2020 07:11 (#8498333 - in reply to #8498309)
Subject: don't forget the salt

Pittsburg, Kansas

A pinch of salt will help with hunger or cravings also. Salt is another thing that has been drilled into our heads that is supposedly dangerous to our health. Blood pressure issues mostly. But only about 9% of the population actually has any sensitivity to salt as far as it raising blood pressure. Yet for those 9% we all got the recommendation to reduce our salt intake.

Most soda pop is loaded with salt. That along with the sugar is what makes it so addictive. The sugar masks the salty taste but the salt makes us pee and so are thirsty for more............ soda pop. These manufacturers are not stupid. They know how to get us to consume more of their product.

Most people should not be afraid of salt and in fact a low carbohydrate diet requires more salt (at least to begin with). Carbs retain water. Water is where the salt resides. When we go low carb a lot of the water gets flushed out (our first 10# weight loss) and along with it electrolytes including salt. That is where the "keto flu" comes from. I'm not a doctor or dietitian so don't take this as medical advice (just some guy on the internet rambling), but take some salt or use salt a lot more liberally on food when you go low carb. Any over consumption just gets pee'd out.

But don't take my word. Take the word of a scientist (cardiovascular research) who studies such things.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dr.+james+dinicolantonio+the+salt+fix+

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=the+salt+fix+by+dr+james+dinicolantonio&crid=3V9H3RZYPK1Z9&sprefix=the+salt+fix+DiNic%2Caps%2C212&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_18

Most of our consumed salt ingestion comes from high salt content in processed foods. If a person is cutting down on processed foods they are cutting down in salt. That could create a salt deficiency. On a low carb diet usually more added salt is called for. If I get a slight hunger pang and it is not when i want to eat, a half teaspoon of salt in a swig of water will often do the trick and take me to meal time. At least it used to. I almost never need to do it any more.

John

Edited by John Burns 9/16/2020 07:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)