AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sweden and Covid
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

John Burns
Posted 9/14/2020 09:52 (#8494898 - in reply to #8494868)
Subject: risk aversion

Pittsburg, Kansas

But they also may be pretty much done with it as in immunity.

The "flatten the curve" means the curve will be extended.

How are countries like New Zealand, who basically shut out the outside world, going to fare going forward? What do they do? Stay shut off from the rest of the world permanently?

Sweden has mostly had schools open and business as usual. They are over the hump.

So which is better? Getting it over with or dragging it out?

From an economic standpoint Sweden wins big time. Only the people can determine if destroying the economy was "worth it". For some it probably was. For many others I suspect not.

We as farmers had it pretty lucky. From my part about the only inconvenience I have had is having to wear a mask rarely when I went in town and not getting to travel places I had planned. But for many people that have lost jobs (perhaps permanently), had to deal with kids staying home and living in a cooped up high rise apartment they have had it much worse.

Sweden, while doing some modest distancing and generally just public education, has mostly been life normal. That would be worth some risk to me. I drive a vehicle, including motorcycles, almost daily. I could get killed or seriously injured every time I get behind the wheel/handlebars. I accept that risk as a risk worth taking for my quality of life. If a person was completely risk averse they would quit driving. Just how risk averse do we want to be? That is the question. How risk averse do we make our life to the point life is not worth living? Just stay in bed 24/7/365? Even that carries risks.

John

Edited by John Burns 9/14/2020 09:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)