AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Oregon is a Mess! Pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 9/13/2020 17:56 (#8493554 - in reply to #8493102)
Subject: RE: Oregon is a Mess! Pics

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Oregon Farmer - 9/13/2020 10:38

30 plus years of extreme liberal polices when it comes to logging and managing the State and Federal timber lands. Basically a lot of the forested area are not really managed at all anymore, they are way to thick with underbrush and invasive species. The road networks that existed for logging back in the day is gone in large swaths of the area so it is very difficult to access and fight the fires when they are small.

The road network is another big factor I forgot to mention. Another is the fact that logging meant people, with equipment, out in the woods.

A good example of this was a fire that took off a couple weeks ago near here in an area with a lot of private timberland. Two things happened. One, the fire didn't burn terribly fast at the beginning because the land had been logged and was a lower density forest. Despite it being a windy, dry day. I'm sure the brush had been managed as well, although I can't say for sure. The other thing was there was two logging operations nearby who immediately went a cut a dozer line around it. That fire never made the news because it never took off.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)