AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does rain help kernel depth and TW after ear drooping at 1/3 mst line?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GOOSEPILOT
Posted 9/18/2020 12:25 (#8502565 - in reply to #8502417)
Subject: RE: Does rain help kernel depth and TW after ear drooping at 1/3 mst line?

WC Mn/Dakotas
Loren SE IA - 9/18/2020 10:16

I did break off the ends of a few ears of the dropped ears vs upright ears and the mst line was about 50% ahead but not further then 2/3 of way down which surprised me for being drooped for well over a wk. Noticed that within 1 day after being broken off the mst line was all the way down , which shows me that the dry down of the still connected dropped ear was way slower then a disconnected ear so I think I have to conclude that their very likely a drooped ear with rain did save some yield!

Could you expand on your observations more? At the beginning you talked drooped vs upright and then at end connected drooped vs disconnected? That is not clear to me.

Are these variations intermixed plants or from different zones? Are the ears all the same size and some just drooped, or is there some correlation to ear size and drooped vs upright? How was emergence uniformity? Seed depth consistency? I have seen premature drooping be on plants that emerged late and had poorer root system than their neighbors. Similar with more normal plants with drooped vs upright. Upright were larger ears. This year I saw the earliest emerges get busted off in a late June wind event (they were early because of shallower planter depth, too shallow)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)