AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question on splitting planter with 2 varieties (SS and double pro)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 9/9/2020 00:00 (#8484208)
Subject: Question on splitting planter with 2 varieties (SS and double pro)

SC Wisconsin
I only plant about 80 acres of corn per year. Next year happens to all be in one field. Normally I pick 2 varieties that are a day or 2 apart from 2 different companies and split the planter. Ive always planted a smartstax, one because we have moderate rootworm pressure and 2 because dad plants my corn for me and he took all the chains off the insecticide drives on his planter, so I have no experience with insecticide. Wyffels has a 101 day number i really like (2506). It is only available in conventional or double pro. A number my dekalb guy is pushing is 53-27, smartstax 103 day. So I'm tempted to run the double pro in 6 units on the planter and put drive chains on those insecticide boxes and run insecticide while I put the smartstax in the other half of the planter with no insecticide. Is there anything im overlooking as to why this wouldn't work or be a good idea? While we do have moderate pressure from RW, in my experience the damage is very minimal so the traited corn has been controlling them thus far. It would be an interesting experiment if nothing else to compare the economics and control of smartstax vs double pro with insecticide. I appreciate any and all input

Edited by jcolli140 9/9/2020 00:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)