AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wide vs narrow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Westexas
Posted 9/10/2020 17:19 (#8487479 - in reply to #8487330)
Subject: RE: Wide vs narrow

Plainview, Tx
GM Guy - 9/10/2020 15:20

Really haven't been able to do a side by side comparison, but I might be able to try something next year, as I bought a 8r30 6100 White, and already have a 6100 White in 8r36. Liquid on the 30 and dry on the 36 (though neither are functional currently...lol ) row cleaners and frame coulters on 30 and just coulters on the 36.

I've raised a couple of corn crops on 36, seems to have have a slight better drought tolerance, and 30.5s won't get stubble cut, but I think any yield advantage only exists if you no till. In conventional I'm afraid weeds would get more sun and be a bigger issue. Idk if it was my plant depth (more anchored brace roots?) or my 36, but I didn't have as many stalks blown over as others the one year the area had a wild wind lay some over.

Due to junk corn prices I went Milo this year, and convinced myself it needed to be on 30s, (canopy) so that's partly why the 30 inch planter was bought.

We due strict no till on row crop and will only sometimes plow ahead of wheat. I think no till saves us enough moisture that we can’t afford to plow. Only time we really plow is like this year where there’s no moisture to lose and plant wheat in it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)