AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wide vs narrow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Westexas
Posted 9/8/2020 23:04 (#8484168 - in reply to #8484108)
Subject: RE: Wide vs narrow

Plainview, Tx
tmrand - 9/8/2020 22:13

I'd like to think that wide rows would beat narrow in dry country. However............I did think that skip row would work better too. After 4 years of planting quite a few acres in the "plant 2 skip one 30" rows"............All I did was prove that it was worse than just 30" rows. I had years both dry and with abundant rainfall. Skip row got beat in both scenarios.

I seriously considered getting some 40" equipment for my dryland corn.............but with what corn prices have done over the last few years I'm now more so considering just dropping corn out of the plan until better prices or more consistent rainfall returns.

I agree on the skip row, plus I don’t like the uneven residue. That’s why I’m looking at going wider. Thought about going 60” but think that is to wide, but have wanted to try a modified 60” in clusters. Planted some this year but was to dry. My deal with the 40” row is I think it will work more as a skip that the 30” without going to far. I know most dryland cotton guys seem to be on 40” and a lot of the better looking milo is 40” but the biggest driving factor for me is more down pressure per row and more of the older guys that are selling equipment are on 40” so there is plenty of used, cheaper equipment since we need tonupgrade anyhow
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)