AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DeKalb 54-64, 54-65
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

stevr13
Posted 9/8/2020 19:12 (#8483604)
Subject: DeKalb 54-64, 54-65

Northeast Iowa
Anyone have favorable experiences with these hybrids?
One is a SS of the same variety, I can not recall which one.

I planted a lot of it this year after being sold on big yield potential. On my best field, I also mixed in Pioneer's PO589, a 1 day longer maturity. The random sample I took with my agronomist and DKC dealer showed a 194 yield for his brand and 220 on the pioneer. That is going to be roughly $80/acre of lost revenue if we only look at yield. The Pioneer was still very green and hadn't black-layered yet, but the DKC looked like it died weeks ago, and our sample included some cob-rot and mold growth in the dekalb.

Unfortunately this looks like a common theme for our hot and dry August in my part of North East Iowa: our Dekalb matured much faster and either finished or died, while our Pioneer fields are still vgreen today and appear to show better potential. The P numbers are almost all aquamax hybrids, which we had good results with the past few years.

As to not cheerlead one brand over the other, we do have a 103 day Pioneer number that sampled only at 170 bpa, but it is on a tougher farm to begin with - yet still expected more from it.

I hope in a month or so I can come back to this post and say the samples weren't representative and the whole field did 220.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)