AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Serious Pioneer corn question....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

technugget
Posted 9/8/2020 14:34 (#8483123)
Subject: Serious Pioneer corn question....

Haven't grown Pioneer corn in easily a decade. This year, however, some of the worst corn I've seen in SCWI has a Pioneer sign out front along the road. It's uneven height, uneven colored, and has generally looked sick all year while the same producers Brand B, Brand C, and Brand D all look a deep-green healthy, have even stands, and appear to be all-around better corn. I'm a firm believer that final yield tells the rest of the story, and honestly the whole story, but how can plants/stands/fields that look so sick all year long produce? Talking with these growers, same management has been done across all acres, and they're not even sure why their Pioneer corn looks so sick. Asked a local pioneer rep and he had no answer other than a smart-a$$ed one, but he offered no explaination for the poor appearance.

Now, this is a serious query, and in 2 months the yield results/scale tickets could show that it doesn't matter how healthy the crop appears, the Pioneer corn could have just put all the energy into 280 bushel corn and none into the appearance of the plant.......

EDIT: Planting equipment does not seem to matter as red and green planters are used across these affected acres. IF it had been one or the other, then I could see making an argument for emergence and stand based on planting equipment.

Edited by technugget 9/8/2020 14:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)