AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ewe ration questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Seth_ia
Posted 9/8/2020 14:54 (#8483149 - in reply to #8482823)
Subject: RE: Ewe ration questions

I'm assuming you don't have huge number of ewes so I'll give you my simple rules of thumb.

If you are feeding grass(Either Pasture or baled), I'd feed corn and some kind of protein pellet top dressed. As a rule of thumb without seeing a feed test I typically aim for a 14% grain mix unless the grass is really bad, then boost the protein a couple points to maybe a 16%. When choosing protein pellets for ewes, look for the highest protein one available. They are generally the cheapest. Also if possible look for a pellet that has some urea in it as a ewe can utilize it just fine and you'll save some fairly big money per ton(right now I'm saving about $50/ton). Don't forget the free choice mineral as well.

If you are feeding better alfalfa hay, you probably don't need the protein pellets in the grain mix until 3rd trimester. The alfalfa should have plenty of protein. Just feed straight shelled corn. Feed plenty of good quality mineral and make sure they are eating what ever is suggested on the mineral bag. Kent mineral is my choice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)