AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to keep beans form getting too tall?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GOOSEPILOT
Posted 9/9/2020 09:03 (#8484663 - in reply to #8482686)
Subject: RE: How to keep beans form getting too tall?

WC Mn/Dakotas
WAYNE0224 - 9/8/2020 10:09

GOOSEPILOT - 9/8/2020 09:50

Why such high population?
We have heavy clay that seals up pretty tight after rains. It seems that is you dont have more plants, you cannot get as good of a stand. The lack of plants will not push thru a crust after a rain, thats why 15 inch rows work so well compared to a drill here. Then in the later part of a typical year, when its dry, the beans are usually short, and require more plants to yield. This is clay ground that has been tilled heavily for 50 years, and is pretty beat up. I was trying to find out if there was something I could do mid season, if I encounter another year like this one, that would aid in promoting bushing of the plants.

Sounds very similar to my home area. High ph, high mg....clays. we used to think you had to drill 180k, but now most plant them 15, 20, 22, 30 inch rows. The poorer the ground the higher the pops. I seed most fields 80-110 in good zones and 160-250 in poor zones. I think treating each bean seed more like most treat corn is very important. Now my guys have learned that vrt field averages can be 120-150 vs 180 flat rated. Most still need to reduce averages, but we are getting lower every year as confidence grows and better tillage fertility is implemented.

The need help pushing through a crust is very valid in some areas. My take is get a good soil test and start adjusting your program. Crusting is a result improper long term management practices, both tillage and nutrient wise. Tile needs to go into this type of ground. Take a hard look at where and how often you crust, its probablynot as bad as you have convinced yourself it is. Vrt seeding will help tremendously. Testing population blocks will be a valuable learning tool. Know your final stand percentages.

I would say plant for what each zone needs for proper final stands, not for "well it might crust" type mentality. If/when you actually do get a crust, then get out a rotory hoe type tool and break it up. You've got 50 years of excessive tillage, one more quick pass when you need it isn't going to hurt.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)