AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

60" corn pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jbgruver
Posted 9/8/2020 08:56 (#8482533 - in reply to #8482401)
Subject: RE: 60" corn pics

My main rationale for terminating the CCs in some of our solar corridors was to help the corn finish well by:
1) eliminating competition for soil resources 2) increasing light penetration 3) increasing N availability

I am also interested in testing options for establishing cool season CCs and controlling some weeds.

In our larger solar corridor experiment this season with 2 out of 3 rows planted to corn, we have 2 solar corridor treatments. We chopped the forage soybeans in one treatment and left the forage soybeans in the other. All other management practices were the same so we should get some good data on the impact of chopping vs. letting the beans grow.

Joel
WIU Agriculture

BTW My preferred solar corridor system is the simplest system - planting 1 or more legume species while planting corn and then managing the field just like 30" corn (including letting the legume grow until killing frost or corn harvest) but I also need to explore options for minimizing the yield hit we observed in solar corridor corn in 2018 and 2019.

Edited by jbgruver 9/8/2020 12:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)