AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn ear tip back causes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

harristonloam
Posted 9/8/2020 10:35 (#8482727 - in reply to #8482134)
Subject: RE: Corn ear tip back causes

Alberta Canada
Thank you Unsal

That is a very interesting soil test. I have not seen one like it before. Also I have never had temperatures over 35C except in my oven when I am cooking food.

However I can give you an estimate of fertilizer requirements.

Nitrogen 250 - 300 kg/ha Watch the lower leaves, if the midrib turns yellow, you are starting to get low on nitrogen.

Phosphorus 150 - 200 kg/ha You may be able to use a lower rate if the soil test improves.

Potassium 18 - 50 kg/ha You should have adequate potassium in the soil to supply the crops needs if all the soil is consistently high test. Some areas may benefit from additional potash.

Sulfur 30 - 40 kg/ha Sulfur and nitrogen are used by the plant to make proteins. They should be applied at the same time if possible.

Magnesium 0 - 4 kg/ha Your soil should supply enough magnesium, however if it is responding to the additional fertilizer, continue applying it.

Copper 2 -10 kg/ha soil applied. A total application of 35 kg/ha over several years should raise the soil test, and make further applications unnecessary. The current low copper levels is likely the reason that the corn and wheat are not able to stay standing until harvest.

Zinc 4 - 18 kg/ha You may be able to use a lower rate if the soil test improves, or if you are applying less phosphorus.

Boron 1 - 2 kg/ha

Manganese With your warm temperatures, the soil should supply enough manganese, if not, 2 kg/ha in a band with ammonium sulfate should be adequate.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)