AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Eastern mid west canola questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

MBGoat
Posted 9/5/2020 23:26 (#8478321 - in reply to #8478198)
Subject: RE: Eastern mid west canola questions

St. Claude, Mb, Canada
Canola is a pretty awesome plant, I have no experience with winter canola, but usually grow about a third of the farm as spring canola every year. I would think it will lend itself well to organic, its crazy how quickly it goes from 3 leaf to full cabbage. Literally the field looks like crap and week later its 2 feet tall and you can't see any black dirt. Most guys who straight cut canola sew a variety that has a pod shatter resistant gene, and dessicate in some fashion. With organic this is obviously not going to be possible but shouldn't be a deal breaker. Your main issue will be control of volunteers in soybeans afterwards. Soys basically just bend over and take whatever canola wants to give them and with it being winter canola I would imagine they will overwinter pretty well. I have found that harvesting canola when its humid can be the best time to harvest. If the pods have a little moisture they wont turn to dust and you can keep the dockage down, its hard on the header and accelerator tho. The more humid the straw the more it likes to bunch up and plug. Hope this helps.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)