AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weed programs....how do we get rid of the thrill of the kill...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

easymoney
Posted 9/5/2020 09:42 (#8477285 - in reply to #8477072)
Subject: RE: Weed programs....how do we get rid of the thrill of the kill...

ecmn
There is a lot of amazing conversation to be had with this topic and bring in root worm or SCN. Two things that the treatment is helping make the problem worse.

Someone asked how you control noxious weeds with regenerative ag. My question back is how well are we doing it with modern practices? And why would you not use the successful practices in regenerative ag program?

Regenerative is not organic,

In 2019 i did a go to fail comparison between cereal rye and pre emerge chemical program and the winter rye did a lot better, also with the rye you had an opportunity to harvest the rye and come back later for the beans.

By late fall it was 2 big massive strips of water hemp. This year was rye again and there isnt much hemp out there. Maybe it has yet to come?

Many farmers are doing a normal soybean chemical program but adding cover especially rye and having a lot more success.

Its the doing the same thing over expecting different results thing, you had ( fill in the blank with SCN,white mold, corn root worm, noxious weeds...) in 2018 you bought the expensive treatment for that problem but you didnt get the cure. Now its 2020 and you are doing the same program for the most part, maybe a tweek to chemical program or something little but its the same program but this year its going to work.

Most major issues we fight today, wind/ water erosion, rising costs of inputs, compaction, noxious weeds and diseases are things that farmers in every county and around the world are fixing with soil health practices.

Water hemp seed has a very short life on top of the soil and there are bugs that will eat the seed.

How come in my60 inch corn with little chemicals lots of covers there is very little hemp, behind my rye there is a mountain of foxtail and other grasses but on 250 acrs that hasnt had a chemical on it since spring of 2019 there is very little hemp. I ask the question to myself what is happening.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)