AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weed programs....how do we get rid of the thrill of the kill...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DobsonAG
Posted 9/5/2020 07:31 (#8477072)
Subject: Weed programs....how do we get rid of the thrill of the kill...

Donnellson, IA. Makes saying here easier.
Some mention about fall spraying in other posts. And that was a very common program for years here before roundup came into play. Not that it was the first herbicide that smoked weeds. But seems to be the one that influenced ag the most in letting weeds grow to have the satisfaction of them frying and dying.

I guess too many years spraying and being around labels that I've never been excited about a chem trying to kill weeds that are 3x labeled height and being happy it worked. I miss the days of fall spraying tiny winter annuals and controlling them before they are an issue. Not trying to kill a 12" marestail next spring like so many here attempt to do. Not to mention how rough fields are when a carpet of winter annuals get worked instead of a herbicide program and the planting issues that can follow.

Second pass doesn't seem much better. So many thrilled about the big weeds a product took down. I guess always having my own sprayer spoiled me. Many times we sprayed our residual when we had good rain chances at 3rd or 4th cotyledon and then came back with our liberty....or gly..... if we had escapes. I can't think of one time that a neighbor didn't ask why we were wasting our time spraying with no weeds out there. Maybe the reactive approach is the better one. Just think some things better start moving toward a different approach or the efficacy of chemicals are going to be less than satisfactory ahead.

Moving to a totally different approach as I transition and plan to chase the combine with covers for fall weed suppression. Guess it just got me thinking about preventive measures in commercial row crop. I know with lots of rain and mechanical weed program that being reactive doesn't work really well when conditions don't allow for time in field. I have some tremendous crops but far more weeds than I would like. But sadly many commercial fields are greening up a lot too. Just random thoughts but hoping for some change before mechanical is back to needed in all production. I personally really like being in the field and seeing my crop. So cultivating is one of my favorite jobs. But I think that mindset is not prevalent in ag.

I know several already do many passes and with residual to keep fields clean. But not as common in this area. With the righy chemicals and timing a year long program isn't going to break the bank. Especially with your own rig. Doesn't take many acres to pay for a pull type sprayer. And spreading out herbicide passes allows for more hands on deck at planting time. Which is never a bad thing.

Edited by DobsonAG 9/5/2020 07:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)