AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

kernel flex
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GOOSEPILOT
Posted 9/5/2020 09:36 (#8477274 - in reply to #8475174)
Subject: RE: kernel flex

WC Mn/Dakotas
I would place a bet on two different hybrids. Usually if I see that much difference in rows around it was an emergence issue like different depths. Whatever the issue, it usually carries through to the end and has measurably less total weight per ear. In this case, the 12 row has more total weight and almost looks longer too. It’s also filled to the very end vs tipped back. It’s possible it is the same, but there are several conflicting aspects in my mind.

Emergence tests are very educational. Also remember to look at where the ear is placed on the stalk (top position or 2, 3....) each position below the top is about 10-12% less. Generally a big root system has a big stalk and has a bigger diameter ear than it’s neighbors. If nothing else this is a good example of why weight per ear is a more accurate yield factor than rows or kernels because of kernel depth/size.

This is why vrt seeding and being more conservative on field avg population is a benefit for most growers vs having more population and then encountering a big stress. Unless you are regularly getting 10+ bu/k seeds, your planting too much seed in a less than 300 bu yield potential. When you figure out why or what is limiting your yield potential, then several changes need to be made together. It’s not just plant higher pops.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)