AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Maintaining muscle mass over the age of 50
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 8/31/2020 10:00 (#8467698 - in reply to #8467610)
Subject: amount of protein and excess insulin

Pittsburg, Kansas

I wish someone would give that information in something like "pounds of 80-20 hamburger" or "ounces of strip steak". I start going through the conversion from my weight in kilograms then the grams of protein then have to look up to see how much protein is in certain meats then convert it to ounces so I have a visual idea of it............... it all gets confusing.

Wife and I do it the easy way. We just eat mostly meat. We are not carnivore totally but since going ketogenic diet a year and a half ago we have just gradually stopped eating most vegetables. A little bit by design but mostly just because as time has passed the vegetables are less desirable to us. So I think we probably get plenty of protein and don't really measure it. We just eat till we feel full. That usually takes about a pound to a pound and a half of meat and/or eggs along with some cheese.

We still eat things like olives, avocados. I like radishes in with my appetizers. A few blueberries or strawberries with our home made yogurt for desert. Eat some sauerkraut once in a while. At home mostly meat but when I eat out might have some steamed vegetables or a salad, depending on what is being offered for side dishes.

Give me a one pound hamburger steak with grilled onions (mushrooms on it are ok too), four strips of backon and I am happy. That along with chaffles for bread and half of a boiled egg and about a quarter pound of various cold cut meats for appetizers and that would be a typical meal for me.

Seems to be working well for us. Hard to believe I eat like that and maintain my body weight BMI of about 22. I think I eat a LOT. A person does not have to go hungry to lose weight. They just have to get the foods out of their diet that is causing the continuous high insulin levels. Then the body does an excellent job of maintaining its proper weight once it is not flooded with excess insulin all the time.

John

Edited by John Burns 8/31/2020 10:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)