AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Homemade dill pickles
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

GregWCIL
Posted 8/17/2020 18:33 (#8440984 - in reply to #8440380)
Subject: RE: Homemade dill pickles

West Central Illinois

corn48 - 8/17/2020 11:35 gregg, how do u store them when finished pickling?

Ive read and tried different ways. First, during the ferment I skim off the white kahm yeast that forms at the top so it doesn’t mold. The yeast is harmless itself but clouds the brine some. I start tasting samples after a week or so and jar them when I like the acidity. 

If done in the big crock, I dip them out, remove the grape leaves and dill,  put them in various size jars. The brine gets cloudy as I mentioned so I strain it through cheesecloth. I add half a jar of that and top off with a white vinegar /water mix. Can’t tell you exact ratio from memory. Then simply screw on the lids and store in the basement fridge. I’ve kept them for up to a year but they are crunchiest the first few months.

In smaller jars, I just add water/vinegar to overflow the yeast and put in the fridge for quicker eating. 

Post back if you do some and let us know what you think. I have several friends who look forward to my pickles every year.

I read that since they aren’t boiled or canned they are loaded with probiotics, for what that’s worth. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)