AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate me on rye or triticale
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 8/7/2020 18:44 (#8421460)
Subject: Educate me on rye or triticale

SC Wisconsin
ive got a 7 acre piece that was oats and is now getting pen pack spread on it pretty heavy. Another piece is about 20 acres that is corn now and will be chopped for silage in a couple weeks, i don't have any plans for it after that until next spring. Both pieces will be beans next year. Im thinking about putting rye or trit on them both this fall then making baleage out of it next spring. I don't need the feed but im trying to build a "Garvo style" stockpile. This will be feed to my cow herd.

From what I understand, trit is more forgiving as far as harvest window which would be nice with the unpredictable springs we have. Ive also heard rye is easier to establish and more winter hardy with higher tonnage but lower quality.

How and when do you seed these 2 crops? Obviously the oat filed will need to be ripped to incorporate the heavy spread of pen pack and then hit with the soil finisher, but the corn silage stubble should be clean and could be no-tilled behind the chopper. Ive also heard of broadcasting rye, not sure if it works for trit. Do they need to be rolled in or worked in lightly if broadcast? I assume end of September is a good seeding date in Southern Wisconsin? Also, I assume either one would need a dose of 50 or so units of N at Greenup in the spring?

After the rye or trit is taken off can I notill beans right into the stubble? Ive read there are some allopathic effects of the rye but I believe that only applies to corn. Any opinions on 30/15 rows vs drilled for the beans into the rye or trit stubble?

Any other things I need to consider? Thanks and sorry for the novel.

Edited by jcolli140 8/7/2020 19:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)