AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn and sorghum-sudan planted together
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 8/7/2020 10:38 (#8420709)
Subject: Corn and sorghum-sudan planted together

nw NC
Here is my experiment of planting corn and sorghum-sudan together in the same row for silage harvest. I have in years past had to plant S-S in already growing corn to thicken up poor stands of silage corn due to various reasons such as crows destroying much of a field. I got the idea of experimenting with same time planting last year after seeing some S-S growing in my first planting of my 90 day corn planted April 25 for early silage harvest. There were a few seed of S-S trapped in the seed hoppers from planting S-S in rows in 2018. They made their way out and into the corn seed plates as planting began. They sprouted and grew along with the corn but grew 2-3 feet taller than the corn. Silage was harvested in late July and I thought about growing a second crop of silage corn. I posted last year about that. ( https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=884075&posts=8... ) and ( https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=911884&posts=3... )

This year I put a few handfuls of S-S seed in the hoppers with the corn seed and planted on May 4, later than I would have liked, but it had been wet. I planted about 4 acres in two small fields. Corn and S-S came up in about 8 days. Both have grown nicely. Pictures below. Today is 8-7-20 and lower leaves are firing, ear husk are browning, grain is dented, milk line is about half, S-S heads are heavy with stalks leaning over so the crop is ready for harvest. There has been near 4 inches of rain here since early morning 8-3-20. It was badly needed and all soaked in. Forecast has chance of showers every day for the next seven days. Hopefully I can get the stuff harvested.

Immediately after harvest I will spray with paraquat to kill any grass and weed growth and let the S-S regrow from stubble and let it grow until near frost for another harvest of some silage material.

(003 (Large) (full).JPG)

(004 (Large) (full).JPG)

(002 (Large) (full).JPG)

(004 (Large) (full).JPG)

(001 (Large) (full).JPG)

(002 (Large) (full).JPG)

(003 (Large) (full).JPG)

(004 (Large) (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 003 (Large) (full).JPG (166KB - 122 downloads)
Attachments 004 (Large) (full).JPG (179KB - 97 downloads)
Attachments 002 (Large) (full).JPG (175KB - 95 downloads)
Attachments 004 (Large) (full).JPG (205KB - 110 downloads)
Attachments 001 (Large) (full).JPG (210KB - 110 downloads)
Attachments 002 (Large) (full).JPG (150KB - 115 downloads)
Attachments 003 (Large) (full).JPG (96KB - 97 downloads)
Attachments 004 (Large) (full).JPG (206KB - 96 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)