AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This is why I use pipe for corners
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Nate B.
Posted 8/7/2020 12:43 (#8420907 - in reply to #8420020)
Subject: RE: This is why I use pipe for corners

Bremen, KS
Originally it was planted as a fence since the young shoots and branches have many sharp thorns. Even the small branches are quite strong and livestock won't push through a mess of the stuff once it's waist high or so. History says that Indians prized the wood for their bows.

Now the hedge rows have matured and no longer provide much of a fence due to a combination of neglect and the fact that mature branches and trunks don't have thorns, unlike honey locust trees. Squirrels and cattle like to eat the hedge apples, as we call them, and that spreads the seeds so the trees are a pasture pest. The heartwood is so hard that even when green it is quite hard to drive a steeple or nail into it. Once it dries, forget it! If need be, I've drilled pilot holes first.

Wikipedia has a pretty good article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maclura_pomifera

A lot of hedge posts that now need replacement have probably been in the ground 50 to 70 or even up to 100 years and were relatively small when placed, probably 2 to 3 inches in diameter. Today a lot of line posts used are close to six inches in diameter and corners are larger due to the fact we now have a lot of mature trees to cut posts from that they did not have back then. Here many new fences use hedge for corners and then every four to five post spaces a hedge line post is set with steel posts in between.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)