AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What type of stainless steel?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 8/6/2020 17:07 (#8419292 - in reply to #8417787)
Subject: RE: What type of stainless steel?

SE Manitoba
junk fun - 8/5/2020 22:15

304 is typical dairy, or food grade. 316 is typically chemical or medical stuff.

I don't know what the stalls would be. Exhaust systems (cars) are a 400 grade, 409 maybe, entirely different than 300 stainless steels, but they're worth it.

If you looking in a book the Machinery's Handbook you will find some rather extensive tables on the various stainless steels.
Some of the variations are minor but become important in the welding and forming of product.

Exhaust tubing is commonly a SAE 51409 steel.
For giggles I counted - - - - there are actually 2 different lists - - - one has 55 items and the other 28.
There are 4 variants of 304, and 4 for 316.
It is quite common to use a 309 designated rod for attaching 304 to either itself or to carbon steels. This is available for stick electrodes and as wire and also as wire for welding using the TIG process.

For a serious examination of this I would refer you to the ASME Boiler Code, where there is likely 100s of pages of information, then if you really want to get a LOT of bedtime reading material you get to look at the different standards between the USA - AISI, French AFNOR, German DIN, German W.N 17007, Italian UNI, Japan JIS, Russian, GOST, Spanish UNE, Swedish SIS, UK BSI and the EU Euronorm (I have a book of some 400 pages which includes all but the last as its also the newest and wasn't available at the time of that reference's writing). People make entire careers working in deciding which type to use for what - - - the list of variables is not short and when cost is always a consideration things can sometimes get interesting.
In this area using words like typical is, imo anyway, likely not very accurate. HTH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)