AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

help on converting an old modem router into a switch/Acces point
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

YawLes
Posted 8/2/2020 09:17 (#8410396 - in reply to #8409468)
Subject: DHCP and Gateway are the keys

If you want a device to assign IP addresses, the service which must be enabled is DHCP. This is typically a mouse click to turn on/off. Some DHCP systems allow the user to modify some settings. These are the ones you want to verify -

1.) If you have multiple switches or routers on your network, make certain only one device has DHCP turned on. Otherwise, the multiple DHCP servers will fight over who has control.

2.) Number of IP addresses - make certain your range of IP addresses or number your system will allow is a larger number than the number of devices you want to connect to the network/internet. Some older systems will only issue a small number of IP addresses - like 25 or less.

3.) If your system displays the DCHP settings, your system's "Default gateway" must be in the range of IP addresses. EXAMPLE - I configured my system to use the 10.10.xxx.xxx subnet range - the xxx's can be any number between 0 - 255. This laptop I'm using has an assigned IP address of 10.10.10.9 and the gateway (the IP address of my router that is connected to the modem) is 10.10.10.1 - (see picture). Additionally, your Subnet Mask must be 255.255.255.0. To view your computer's IP settings, get a command prompt and type in IPCONFIG then press enter.

4.) IP Lease - this is how long your DHCP will let your individual devices keep a particular assigned IP address. Not every system lets you configure this. I like to keep the lease time about a week. If a guest visits and you let them on your network, their device will keep a set IP address for the length of the lease. When they finally go home, after a week the lease ends, your DHCP will reclaim that IP address and assign it to the next new device on your network.

(IP config (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IP config (full).jpg (27KB - 5 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)