AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finished annual ryegrass harvest
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Pharmosifer
Posted 8/1/2020 21:01 (#8409699 - in reply to #8408439)
Subject: RE: Finished annual ryegrass harvest

I'm not G706 but I thought I would take a crack at answeing your question. I don't know how big his truck or trailer is but field-run annual ryegrass runs 18 to 23 pounds to the bushel, depending on what was in the field and how tight the combine was set. My memory is getting a little shot so I went out to a bin and weighed a fresh sample. From the warehousing and cleaning end of the farm it had more short straws in the sample than I would like to see and it weighed on 19 pounds to the bushel. Some years the seed is lighter than others and when it is light it is very difficult to tell what to save and what to leave in the field. Even light seed will germinate but it has to fit in a standard bag and it can't blow out of the seeds analyst's blower or it "inert." When we get it cleaned to 99% pure at the warehouse we will have put between 8 and 12 percent of the field-run in the screenings bunker. The clean seed will weigh about 40 pounds to the bushel.
Long story short, it you figure the volume of you truck or trailer in bushels and multiply it by 20 or 21 pounds, you will have your answer.
If I may, I will attempt to answer Ben's question from above. Annual ryegrass ripens fairly uniformaly on the stem but not so much across the field. If allowed to fully ripen, ryegrass shatters quite easily so we cut it on the green side and let it finish in the windrow. The collage tells us to cut it at around 40 % moisture and so we do use moisture testers to make them happy and then, to keep from going nuts.\, we shake it, pinch or bite the seeds, look at the color across the field and say, "We'll cut 'er in the morning." Then when we cut it in the morning we say, "Shoulda cut it yesterday." And so it goes.
And then it dries in the swath to 12% moisture or below so it will keep without heating and destroying the germination.
We do loose a lot of seed in the field. The researchers have figured how much strategize ways to save more of the seed but
we seemed to be able to over-produce the market anyway.
Ok, I'm about done but a little story; Had a visiting seeds farmer from Australia looking under my unthrashed swath, looked up at me and said, "That's my whole crop you have shattered out on the ground !"
Oregon produces grass seed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)