AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Leaking water hydrant
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Cooperator
Posted 7/31/2020 11:27 (#8406943 - in reply to #8406257)
Subject: RE: Leaking water hydrant

Central Alberta
Water seeping up from the ground is bad news. It means you have hundreds of gallons leaking underground and it usually means digging it all up and looking for the leak. No seal in the hydrant will cause water to leak out into the surrounding soil.

But all hope is not lost. My brother noticed that his power bill was quite high one spring, and after a walk-around, he noticed water gushing out of the ground near one of his hydrants. The ground was still frozen and he didn't want to dig it up, so we came up with a plan: I found a rubber hose that fit inside the water line. I pushed it down as far as I could, probably 20 feet or so. Blowing into the hose, I could hear bubbling, which confirmed that it was in water. I took the big compressor and blew air into the hose until the water was gone, and it wasn't gurgling any more. I then bought a few cans of urethane foam and a long length of small clear tubing. I pushed the small line down as far as I could in the space between the two lines, and connected to the can of urethane foam. I sprayed it down the line until the foam came oozing out the top. I left it for a day or so, cut off the excess foam, connected up the water and waited to see if there were any more leaks. There were none, even 15 years later.

I'm not saying it would work for everyone, and we probably got lucky, but it might be worth a try.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)