AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How can this not matter?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 7/31/2020 08:51 (#8406726 - in reply to #8404473)
Subject: RE: How can this not matter?

East of Broken Bow
Hilltop Husker - 7/30/2020 08:42

I've been told many times on here to not focus on my backyard so I won't discuss Nebraska. However look at these two maps I super imposed of Iowa. The current drought monitor map and the 2018 yield by county map.

Sure are lots of 200+ bushel counties experiencing a drought. How Iowa goes will decide the national average. I don't see how this makes for even an average crop in Iowa let alone a great one.

I know a guy who married a gal from Iowa, not sure what part, but from the better corn growing part, from what I can gather. Talking to her family, they say the thing they do to help increase yield, is to add drainage tile, to drain away the excess moisture. So, it would seem to me, if the 'drought' is rainfall compared to average, and in an average year, they need tile to carry off the excess water, on a year with moderate drought, they still are not hurting.
I find it funny, they come here, and see corn with what we in Central Nebraska would call heat curl, and they (her and her family) are asking things like how the corn will come out of all that 'drought stress'. Makes me think that Iowa dry, is a whole different thing than Nebraska dry, or at least the part of Iowa they are from.
Also, they like to travel a lot, in the summer, because once their corn gets about so big, they are done spraying, and don't have much to do until harvest. They come here, and are amazed at how much time we spend per acre, growing a crop of corn, when we might be irrigating all summer (lots of gated pipe here yet).
Then you tell them, on top of all the extra labor and expense of irrgating, just to have our corn yield within 20 BPA of theirs, we get the privelage of paying $90 an acre property tax. They kind of shake their heads, and say something along the lines of 'I guess that's why we don't see much new machinery or many big farm houses out this way'.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)