AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need Southern Winter / Spring Grazing Mix Suggestions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

DieselDennis
Posted 7/29/2020 20:23 (#8403681)
Subject: Need Southern Winter / Spring Grazing Mix Suggestions

Brandon, MS
I'm planning on seeding a couple of pastures this fall for some late winter and spring grazing.

Rye grass is the staple down here and that will be a part of my mix, but I'd like to throw in some other plants.

One of the plants will be some kind of daikon radish. The fields seem to hold water, even though they're not exactly flat. And the soil seems to be about 4" thick of good soil and then you hit hard pan. So I'd like the radishes to break up the soil and help with the water infiltration. Did I mention it's been wet here the past two winters? Hopefully this will help dry out the wet spots and get the soil warmed up and the warm season grasses going sooner.

What else? Do I plant some kind of pea or vetch? Clover perhaps? I usually spray grazon to clean up the fields, so I'm a little leery about planting clover knowing I'm going to hit it with herbicide later. The fields get 1-2 tons of chicken manure per acre for fertilizer.

What will help build up the soil but also fatten up the cow? I start calving in the middle of February if that makes a difference. I feed free choice hay and whole cottonseed from mid December through March.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)