AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Three Gorges Dam
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 7/29/2020 13:23 (#8403024 - in reply to #8402974)
Subject: RE: Three Gorges Dam

southern MN
There was an official report that mentioned something to the effect ‘outlying portions of the dam system’ were damaged.

Not the dam itself, but if any support structures are damaged, like water flow tubes, overflows or even turbine machinery, it would mean trouble for any more water coming through. They didn’t specify what was damaged.

I just blindly assume they designed the dam to take the 180 feet or so of water it could experience, that is rather simple math these days. But there are always surprises, the abutments on the sides of the dam, the locks to let ships through, the water paths to allow excess water to escape, the turbine area. The weight of all that water deforming the natural rock walls. All of those might have some issues that weren’t thought of and create a domino effect that becomes hard to control.

They sure have worked hard to lower the water some, releasing a lot of water downstream and bleeding some off into side bays - both of which make hardships for people, so wouldn’t be done unless really needing to be done. As well there is then not much wiggle room left, if something else happens all the safeguards are already full......

I’ve read the big wall of water is still coming in August from the third wave of flooding rains, I imagine they are trying to make room for that.

Would be trouble if a forth big rain hit the area?

In the current world economic climate, I would think the death and factory destruction would be a big negative on world prices including grains. Perhaps in 9 months or so the disruption in ag and shipping there would give grains a spike; but how would they get grain to here it’s needed with so much infrastructure messed up. I guess I see more negative that positive.

Without any failure, the messed up ag fields over there might spike grains a little. But is central China’s big on ag? I thought it was more the eastern and northern parts that was their bread basket?

Paul

Edited by paul the original 7/29/2020 13:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)