AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader Versa Moisture Meter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/25/2020 07:47 (#8394799 - in reply to #8394662)
Subject: More Information than you might want

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
With Ag Leader systems, when a configuration is first created there is no reference to module serial numbers. A configuration can be created on a display without the necessary modules even being present. This allows a configuration to be created in the office or store. At that point in time no module serial numbers are associated with the configuration.

The first time the configuration is used, the system will do a search to see what modules are currently connected to it. If it finds one of each type of module called for in the configuration (most common) then it will assign those serial numbers to that configuration and proceed. You are unaware that this has happened.

If there are "extra" modules on the CAN bus such as two Liquid Modules then the system will ask which one you wish to use or if the configuration calls for two, which one is going to be used with which product. With certain modules only one is usable and any extra are disregarded. If other modules of a different type are connected on the the CAN bus this causes no problems as they are just disregarded. This means that generally it is not necessary to disconnect a module that is used for another situation. .

Once a configuration is used, the system will note those module serial numbers and expect to use them each time the configuration is used. .

This generally worked fine with the InSight displays BUT could cause confusion as the system would refuse to load a configuration if it did not find the module serial numbers it was expecting. For example, I have two Liquid Product Modules that are used in various implements (NH3, sprayer, planter etc.). If I created a new configuration, it would work with whatever Module was being used that day. If I happened to use the other Liquid Product Module, the next time, the system would not load that configuration. In frustration, I would create a new configuration and it would again work. Once it became clear to me that the system was expecting a certain liquid module, the situation became clear. So for me there were various options 1). Name the Liquid modules and always use the one that was used last time or 2). Have two configurations and try one and if it didn't work pick the other.

Later Ag Leader can up with an improvement on this arrangement. Starting with the Integra, Edge and current displays, the system now gives you information as to why it is "unhappy" when you choose a previously used configuration. It will still look for the serial numbers assigned to a configuration BUT now if it finds one is missing it will inform you. If a like module of a different serial number is present it will ask if it should use that module. If you answer yes, then the new serial number is assigned to the configuration.

I remove the mass flow sensor from my combine each year to prevent damage from mice. If I should reinstall the display and try a harvest configuration, the chart will inform me that it didn't find a mass flow sensor. This reminds me to reinstall it.

This is why the chart of the modules expected and their status is shown when you choose a configuration. Hopefully there is a green check beside the modules that are called for and you can proceed. If a module seems to be missing and you feel it is present, then look for it and observe the module and watch for a flashing green LED. If it is not flashing green then there is a problem with CAN communication which could be due to a problem with the module itself or the four wire CAN connection tying the modules together.

Also remember that some modules require a High Current Power source to work properly. This is the 2 wire gray connector that some but not all modules have and need. The Green flashing LED indicates good CAN communication but it does not indicate the status of the High Current connection. It must be tested with a meter between the power and ground lead. There are no High Current connections with harvest modules, Many Application and planting modules need the High Current power source.

Edited by tedbear 7/25/2020 08:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)