AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

minestrone
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

skicker
Posted 7/16/2020 15:57 (#8377691)
Subject: minestrone

CNY
John Burns is there any place in your diet for minestrone? Was reading about diets of societies that have well above average life expectancies. Most of didn't sound all that appetizing. But there is an area in Sicily where folks live long and active lives. One component of their diet is home made yogurt from goat's milk. They ferment it over night from a live culture like a sourdough culture. Not going to do that. But they also eat a lot of homemade minestrone with bread and wine. Mid day is the big meal. That sounded interesting so I bought a can of one of the better brands and tried it. It was okay but I thought I could do better, cheaper. So now from different recipes on line I have developed a minestrone I and even my wife really enjoy. All veggie heavy on beans and lentils with carrots, onion, celery, crushed and coarse diced tomatoes chopped spinach (not frozen) vege or chicken broth. Got leftovers>? In season vegetables? Toss 'em in. Recipe not set in stone. I learned to liven it up with lemon juice stirred in at the end. Meat in the soup is a no-no but can be a side. I like thick slice deli turkey with it, doesn't overpower the soup. Make a big batch and freeze in quarts. I got nothing against burgers and steak but this is an almost daily for lunch. Nuke and eat, doesn't sit heavy on your gut.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)