AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

They say blood is thicker than water... apparently mine is thicker than butter...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 7/16/2020 09:47 (#8377091 - in reply to #8377056)
Subject: basal metabolic rate

Pittsburg, Kansas

I agree with all that.

I did not mean to minimize the value of exercise at all. All the things you say it improves for you I agree with and experience the same.

My point (likely not very well stated) is if a person thinks they can just start exercising more and burn off enough calories to offset what they are eating without making eating changes, they are going to be exercising most of the day just to try and outrun their fork.

What we eat can make a difference in our basal metabolic rate. It has been shown in metabolism labs that our basal metabolic rate can be changed by around 250-300 calories a day just by our diet. No change in physical activity. Just metabolism at rest. Calorie restricted diets have been shown to lower that metabolic rate.

So if a person goes on a calorie restricted diet to lose weight and say they drop their metabolism by 250 calories, how much additional exercise does it take to bring the calorie deficit back up to zero? 250 calories of exercise. I don't remember the figures but that is quite a bit of exercise to burn 250 calories.

That is why the "eat less, move more" mantra so often fails. More exercise to burn more calories, but restricted food intake and the body senses scarcity so it lowers metabolic rate to match calorie intake. Then even MORE calorie restriction or exercise is needed to lose weight all the while the energy level drops because of lower metabolism.

That is one reason why a lower carb and increase good fat diet works for weight loss. It keeps calories up (with more fat instead of carbs) so basal metabolism does not slow. Another reason has to do with insulin levels. Insulin levels have to be low (glucagon high) for the body to switch to fat burning mode and burn body fat. Lowering the carbs lowers the insulin spike. Keeping insulin levels low repairs insulin resistance in people that are insulin resistant - most but not all overweight people.

But I fully agree with you that different people have different needs in what they eat. I have needs to keep my carbs low to maintain proper blood glucose levels because I am diabetic. But others may feel and perform better on different levels of carbs than I.

I fully agree with you in getting off the junk food and  junk drinks is the biggest step in the right direction of improving health, regardless of the amount of carbs a person does best on. Not everyone needs a low carb diet. I also doubt if anyone will be at their best when eating over 150 grams of carbs a day. The standard American diet is somewhere around 300 grams carbs a day if the food pyramid and servings recommendations are followed.

John

Edited by John Burns 7/16/2020 11:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)