AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

COVID-19 and Taiwan
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cfdr
Posted 7/14/2020 11:34 (#8373188)
Subject: COVID-19 and Taiwan

I got a couple of links to this from my sister, so I did a bit of reading - trying to stay away from the politics of it.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/25/taiwan-was-the-only-nation-with-a-corr...
>
>
> Looking back on how the crisis unfolded, we find mistakes not just regrettable but stunning, unforgivable — some would say even criminal. The decisions that enable disaster strike us as worse than incompetence — made by people who must have known they were risking the lives of others.
>
> But the more closely we examine most disasters, the less clear-cut these explanations become.

> Trump did make a decisive — and widely criticized — call to limit travel from China on Jan. 31. But his administration then squandered precious weeks, taking too long to force CDC and FDA administrators to cut red tape on testing and protective gear.

> Trump’s defenders point to a long list of failings by Democrats, led by New York governor AndrewGov. Cuomo and New York City Mayor de Blasio.

> The point of this exercise isn’t to tally up which party did better or worse in its response to the pandemic. Both largely failed; failure to anticipate the worst is a bipartisan trait.

> Vaughan and other researchers note that complacency is usually fed by groupthink. At a time when China and the World Health Organization were downplaying the coronavirus threat, it was easy for world leaders to believe that everything was under control.
> In January, while other countries were trusting the WHO’s bland assurances, Taiwan was already turning away cruise ships and performing health checks at airports. Taking early action against COVID-19 meant defying a consensus shared by much of the world. The country’s public-health institutions were designed to be sensitive to even faint signs of trouble and to guard against optimistic biases. The results speak for themselves.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2762689

^On December 31, 2019, when the World Health Organization was notified of pneumonia of unknown cause in Wuhan, China, Taiwanese officials began to board planes and assess passengers on direct flights from Wuhan for fever and pneumonia symptoms before passengers could deplane. As early as January 5, 2020, notification was expanded to include any individual who had traveled to Wuhan in the past 14 days and had a fever or symptoms of upper respiratory tract infection at the point of entry; suspected cases were screened for 26 viruses including SARS and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). Passengers displaying symptoms of fever and coughing were quarantined at home and assessed whether medical attention at a hospital was necessary.

https://hitconsultant.net/2020/07/14/covid-19-socialized-medicine-he...

>
>
> Healthcare systems in France and Italy are both heavily “socialized.” They are also ranked the first and second-best in the world respectively, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
>
> But a small island few are talking about has one of the planet’s best COVID-19 records. It beat Italy, France, the US, and pretty much every other place on earth. Taiwan, with a population of some 23 million people crammed into an area the size of US state of Maryland, sits less than 200 kilometers off the coast of China has had fewer than 500 COVID-19 cases, most of which were imported from returning travelers, and the island’s death rate from the coronavirus stands at seven as of early July 2020.
> The key component of the Taiwan model is technology.

Interesting - the comparison between Italy and Taiwan, with both being single-payer systems. I'm guessing that this will bring changes to our health care system. Can out bureaucracies be like the ones in Taiwan, formed in 1995, or will they inevitably gravitate to being like in Italy, formed in 1978?

I'm remembering how everyone, including Dr. Fauci, was talking earlier this year - at the same time as Taiwan was very serious in dealing with the virus.

Note - sorry about the formatting. I hope the links come through ok.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)