AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reporting back on threading rod......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 7/13/2020 20:50 (#8372067)
Subject: Reporting back on threading rod......

Chebanse, IL.....

A week or so ago I asked what was going wrong with my rod threading that was causing the threads to run off to one side. Thanks for all the responses & suggestions!!!

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=936736&posts=22&highlight=thread&highlightmode=1#M8358972

A
 couple of responses suggested that the centering device wasn't being used properly. Apparently that was correct. In fact, I wasn't using it at all. Apparently I've gotten by in the past because of shorter threading length or something. So, I used the centering device on the die handle properly this time & everything worked perfectly, I think. In the photo below,  you can see the rod on the left has threads that run off to one side, & finally stop. I wanted to go 3", but the die wasn't giving any more cuts. After using the centering jigs on the Craftsman die handle, thread was straight & easy to run. I do notice the finished product feels "gritty" compared to smooth machine cut threads. I assume that's because of the quality of the Craftsman made in Taiwan die? Threads are deep enough and nut fits tight, but still they are gritty feeling. I used cutting oil & kept the die blown clean with air. This was totally hand-operated, no self-propelled machinery involved. The good threads are 3" long on a 1/2" cold-roll rod. 1/2"x13 threads.

(threads (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments threads (full).jpg (147KB - 110 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)