AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Going from 24 regular to 16 row high speed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Chief
Posted 7/13/2020 21:41 (#8372195 - in reply to #8370999)
Subject: Nobody is talking about the extra downforce needed to run fast.

WC Iowa- mostly river bottom
I saw increased sidewall compaction and had trouble closing the seed furrow. Trash wipers ran differently at higher speeds. Talked to other high speed operators who saw the same thing. Planter is just like a boat going up on plane. The faster you go, the more down force needed to keep it in the ground. Then you need more packer wheel down force or different packer wheels. Beck Ag did a study and the seed depth variation at higher speeds was up to 1 inch. Not what the agronomists say is good for even emergence. You can't turn a 16 row around at 8 mph without throwing a ridge and having trouble getting lined up for the next pass. Big fields are better, smaller fields with a lot of turning- hard to gain efficiency with alot of speed. So far, my stands aren't any better than before. A perfect planter can't make up for 95% germ seed that could be as low as 88% and still tagged at 95% and has 5% refuge corn that doesn't grow. Throw in 2 weeks of cold weather and my stands aren't any better than before without the high speed, precision planting setup. Save your money.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)