AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Going from 24 regular to 16 row high speed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Wingman1963
Posted 7/13/2020 05:29 (#8370560 - in reply to #8369562)
Subject: RE: Going from 24 regular to 16 row high speed?

Gruver Tx
I have a 24 row dB 60 and don’t have experience directly but observe a large mega farm who are neighbors and own the local precision dealer. They strip till continuous corn and have to run a strip finisher ahead of the high speed planters to get a smooth enough seed bed as well as narrow gauge tires to plant on the smoothed strip. They run 4 16 row high speed planters. They built 2 planters from scratch this year with harvest international row units to handle the speed abuse and had every precision part on them. I have looked at their planters the last few years when considering what I might update on mine during the winter season. The row cleaners and row tires would be demolished. That being said they did a study on high speed corn and only had 2 missed seeds on 600 plant counts of row so getting very good planting results. I was thinking along the same lines. It cost so much for planter additions on a 24 row versus a high speed 12 or 16 row. I’m just going to keep the old 24 row and stay wider and slower.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)