AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tank screens on heavy trucks?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Offroadnt
Posted 7/11/2020 12:48 (#8367130 - in reply to #8366956)
Subject: RE: Tank screens on heavy trucks?

Southern Alberta Canada
What engines are in these trucks?

GMC has a Cat with the HEUI fuel system? Do you have check engine lights? I guess if you can prime it with the ignition switch it doesn't have a hand pump?

What do you mean "just goes dead"? Or "throws fits"? Like your driving down the road and it dies?

HUEI fuel systems can be a nightmare when they act up it's amazing that system works as well as it does. It needs high pressure engine oil, good camshaft and crankshaft position sensing before it'll send signals to fire the injectors. Leaving the key on tells me fuel may be draining back to the fuel tank and your repriming it every time, using either tells me the engine might have to be turning faster to get enough oil pressure to fire the injectors. "Throwing fits" is a problem, not sure how that might fit in there unless the cam position sensor is going bad and giving irratic signals. That could explain everything as well.

Sounds like the Freightliner is going into limp mode, you should have red "stop engine" light for that. Again, "runs like crap", missfiring? Revs fine to that speed and that's it? No power? Any smoke?

I'd say if it's running fine in the morning it that rules out a fuel issue for the most part. Does the temperature gauge read high by any chance? That might put it into limp mode. The tach works all the time? The engine needs to see it's and transmission output shaft speed or engine revs could be limited but that doesn't explain why it runs fine in the morning.

Is this a Cummins by any chance?

Engine electronics are very robust and as a rule they either work or they quit altogether. If the electronics are not seeing proper inputs they will limit engine output if programmed to do so. The orange check engine light usually doesn't limit engine performance, the red stop engine light can limit engine output (limp mode) or shut it down altogether depending on how the engine was programed.

Both lights should come on for about three seconds then go out when you turn the ignition on.

Sorry it's nothing specific but might hopefully gives you ideas.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)