AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Putting hydrant near power pole?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 7/10/2020 04:27 (#8364618)
Subject: Putting hydrant near power pole?

SC Wisconsin
I've got a couple hydrants to install here shortly, and i would like to put one near my calf hutches. Im always making changes to my layout or expanding, so I want it to be out of the way as much as possible. That being said, I had a new service brought in a couple years ago and they also updated my existing service with a new pole and transformer that just feed the house. This pole and transformer sits at the corner of my gravel pad where my hutches are and also has a guide wire on it. I think this would be the most out of the way spot to put a hydrant near because obviously that won't be getting moved or changed in the next decade or 2. My question is, do i need to worry about any sort of stray voltage getting into my water lines from being too close to this pole/transformer and the ground wire associated with it? Or how close is too close? I was thinking of putting it a few feet away from the pole, i don't want it to be in the way if they need to work on the transformer for any reason but this spot gives it the best chance of surviving with skidloaders and equipment around but also still being convenient. I have one water source for the whole place, and the last thing I need it to introduce stray voltage into my whole water supply. Maybe I'm being over cautious, but I've heard stories of stray voltage wrecking havoc on entire herds and it doesn't get identified until its too late.

Edited to add a pic of my hutch area and I circled where the pole is and where I want the hydrant. This map must be from a couple years ago since I have changed quite a bit of it, added more hutches and moved/added bulk bins. I would put the hydrant so it centralized among the hutches but there are god knows how many tons of silo staves and rock buried under my hutch pad. I raised it up when started making the pad so its up about 2' and sloped to the southeast so it stays high and dry even in the heaviest rains. The little gray shed and dirt lot will be coming down in the near future to make way for a milk mixing room/ special needs pen so i want to stay out of the way of that.

Edited by jcolli140 7/10/2020 07:28

(15943840484530 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 15943840484530 (full).jpg (109KB - 122 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)