AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grain Bin Flu
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

johnny skeptical
Posted 7/10/2020 06:40 (#8364723 - in reply to #8364417)
Subject: RE: Grain Bin Flu

n.c.iowa

Back in the day we had local guy that still had a few ear corn cribs and shelled corn, and still had a ol’ jd no.6 sheller.

also had a couple neighbors that still used cribs as well, so I was the go-to guy for raking corn out of the cribs for a number of years. The one guy still used round wire cribs, which he ground cow feed out of during the year, usually getting one crib empty and getting a good start on the other, which we would shell out so he could fill them again.

so we get to the wire crib farm and the corn sheller guy mentions to me that he’s got a couple more guys coming to help, for he thinks this crib has got problems, he thinks it was picked too wet, and it’s heating up.

sure enough we get into that thing and it’s hot, full of green and yellow mold, ended pretty much picking every ear out to the last ear. 

so the next day I wake up and I got a fever, and it’s hard to breath, by noon I’m kinda in distress. I call up our local family doc for a appointment, “sure come on in”.

she looks me over and tells me I got farmers lung, writes a script and sends me over to the pharmacy, they give me a bottle pills I swear were as big as my thumb. Kinda expensive too. Couple days later I’m feeling better, so life is good again.

since that time alittle over 30 years ago, whenever I get within range of that yellow mold, things get funky for awhile.

son is emptying a bin out now that had a hot spot that was developing in it,  the first part of the week I went to where he was to see how much trouble we had, as I grabbed a double hand of corn and noticed it had a slight bit of yellow mold in it. Dropped it immediately but I musta got a snoot full, eyes been watering and nose has been plugged since.

a guys just gotta be careful. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)