AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is hygard suitable to use in IH combines?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MiradaAcres
Posted 7/10/2020 11:36 (#8365245 - in reply to #8365082)
Subject: RE: Is hygard suitable to use in IH combines?

scmn

I often see someone point out cross contamination when using different pieces of equipment on different brands of oil. Considering the small amount of oil in a hyd hose compared to the number of gallons capacity of a lot of today's tractors it is a very small percentage of contamination.

If you do the math you will see that implements hold a lot more oil than one would initially think.

Take a 2210 field cultivator:
The main wing cylinders (5.5x2x28) hold 2.49 gal on the rod side and 2.88 gal on the ram side (4 per machine) while the wing tips (5x1.75x32) have 2.39 gal and 2.72 gal respectively which means that you send 16.96 gallons to the machine to unfold and receive 14.74 gallons back thru the return port.  Then when you lower the machine to the ground you send 3.41 gal oil to the rod side of 6 4"x12" stroke cylinders and get 4.26 gallons back.  On the first unfold and lowering you are adding 19 gallons of foreign oil from the implement into the tractor hydraulic system and that is not including the 2-3 gallons of oil in the 3/4" and 5/8" lines on the machine.  You can safely say that you introduce 20+ gallons of foreign oil to your tractor the first time you connect it to a new field cultivator and unfold it and lower it to the ground.  For most tractors that will be 20-35% of the hydraulic oil on the machine.  I know it is not a huge amount but it is significant and is definitely not a small percentage.

I know of several other machines with motors and cylinders that hold in excess of 2 gallons of oil in the lines and motors that are often used with multiple tractors (rental tools like NH3 bars, spreaders, mowers, etc.)  Those 2 gallons are 10-20% of the oil on a smaller tractor with a 10-20 gallon reservoir.  I understand your point you make about using the same implement with the same tractor most all of the time, but at some point you will trade implements/tractors and the exchange occurs.  Unless you are draining and flushing all of the new oil out of new implements or only buying one color   If you don't worry about exchanging 30% of the HyTran for HyGuard when you hook a new 2210 FC to your CNH 4WD why does it matter when adding a gallon or 2 to the system?

Like everything else, the OEMs will spec their oil and send it out for quotes to see who will make it the cheapest.  FWIW the mobile hydraulic power system guys rarely spec HyTran or HyGaurd rather they provide and ISO oil spec that the oil must meet to be used with their components.  All oils of the same ISO spec are compatible to meet ISO spec.  The most important characteristic for a hydro is clean oil.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)