AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So who on here just found out they now live on an Indian Reservation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Nate B.
Posted 7/10/2020 12:11 (#8365307 - in reply to #8364996)
Subject: RE: Me too

Bremen, KS
As I wrote above, for now. In case it has escaped notice we live in a grievance culture now and all aggrieved groups want their piece of the pie.

The next domino will likely be taxes. After all, if the state no longer has criminal jurisdiction, the argument will go that it can no longer expect to be able to collect taxes on what has now become tribal lands. The tribes will likely assert their right to collect those taxes in the near future.

If a real estate transfer can be shown to have been willingly sold by the tribe it is probably safe. Any real estate that could be found to be transferred under questionable circumstances will probably be the subject of litigation.

I don't think it would be prudent to think this won't become precedent in other areas of law. If one owns property or lives on what is now apparently tribal land, prudence dictates watching legal events carefully from now on. This may well come to pass sooner than anyone expects. It seems like things are at a pace that 50 years of history happens in about 10 years and it's only getting faster.

Edited by Nate B. 7/10/2020 12:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)