AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

We need mandatory livestock traceabillity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 7/10/2020 05:49 (#8364658 - in reply to #8364407)
Subject: RE: We need mandatory livestock traceabillity

SE Manitoba
timbernt - 7/9/2020 22:10

The cost of the tags is a small part of the cost. The first cost is tag application. If it is done ar the first stop (livestock market) there will be a significant charge to apply and record. If done on farm, they will need to be checked and any that missed getting tags will need to go thru the chute and tagged. When they enter the sale ring they need to be scanned and data recorded. When they exit they need to be scanned in case there was a sort back. After the sale each pen will need to be scanned and verified penning happened correctly. When they are loaded out they will have to be scanned on the truck. Then that data has to be downloaded to the NCBA data base. If the cattle are stockers, the process repeats when they come back in as feeders. Each time there will be a data processing fee as well as a fee for the veterinarian to collect the data. There will also need to be a fee for the veterinarian to issue health papers to accompany each trailer that loads out and forward the ownership change to the NCBA. The costs and scenarios are endless and it will all be paid for by fees assessed on producers and ultimately come from the hide of cow/calf men. I bet the ultimate loss of revenue to cowmen will be a good deal more than $100/hd.

You forgot to include the reports on any and all cattle movements.
You are allowed to call one location 'home'.
Movements from there need to be logged and recorded and they want that information within I think they're now talking 1 week.
The cow-calf guy has been turned into a unpaid government bureaucrat! (I think its same rules after the cow-calf guy they there is less likelihood of movement once cattle hit feeding lots so less reporting required.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)